View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
So Its 8 am in the morning yesterday. The phone rings and its my assignor. One of his frosh refs can't make it to the 9 am game. He tells me it's all mine. A early morning frosh tournament DH. It's the 7/8 th place games followed by the 5th/6th place games. Its gonna be fun.

Well after starting the an hour late-they changed tip off time and didn't tell the refs, my partner is horrible , one coach is gone by 2 minutes into the 3rd quarter, and one minor timing issue I get through it.

So beginning of the 2nd QTR, I'm lead and partner is administering the throw in. I look up and clock hits 7:59 and shot clock hits the 34 mark. So clock is all good. Kids passing ball around up top for a few seconds and everybody is yelling about the clock. I look up and clock has stopped at 7.47 but shot clock is now down to 33 mark.

So I tweet and go and talk with the table. Shot clock took on a mind of its own. Its all good. The scoreboard ran correctly. So I took the shot clock down to 22 seconds. This seemed to me to be a no brainer. One clock worked the other didn't ,match the 2 clocks up to the one that worked. Jeez the one coach,who ended up leaving the game right after halftime is going on and on about how his team lost 13 seconds of offense. . His highly efficent offensive machine had scored 4 points in the first quarter.

So those were my first lower level games of the year and I have landed firmly in the camp of its easier to call Varsity games then it is Frsoh/Jv games.
Shot clock? Freshmen games? What state are you in?