Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
What's going to sell more videos?

The A-11 is "approved".

The A-11 is "technically legal".

If you really believe what you wrote about him in the above post, then you have to believe that he is ignorant or unintelligent.

I have my opinions about coach bryan. Neither of the previous are a part of them.
The discussion was about calling someone a "liar" due to representations of being "approved" versus only being declared "legal". In providing some "reason" to tone down the rhetoric of calling someone a liar, an actual dictionary definition was used and pointed to very little difference between the A-11 being declared "legal" by the FED or claimed "approved" by the FED.

Its unfair to interject "technically legal" into the discussion, unless you know of an instance where the FED has formally declared something "technically legal within the rules" before. Even though you think this may be the case with the A-11, it is a non-debatable fact, the FED declared the A-11 "legal and within the rules".

I don't think Bryan is ignorant or unintelligent, but I do think it is "reasonable" to conclude a high school coach who has "never submitted an offense for FED approval" understood that the FED saying it is within the current rules and therefore "legal" also meant "approved" by the governing body.

If your point it that "legal" instead of "approved" would mean more manual sales, they almost the same thing, so you have to be talking about a miniscule difference in advantage for potential sales. Maybe we can get that Yale professor who figured out the 16,000 combinations that can happen at the snap with the A-11 (California High School's Offensive Scheme Adds Randomness to Football: Scientific American) to chime on this topic!

The point trying to be made is, it seems like a good part of the rancor is based on reading too much into the supposed intentions of Kurt Bryan, almost to the point where he is gaining almost mythical abilities. Kinda like, does it really make sense he could manage "to work his con game on a writer for ESPN" to be part of a cover story for ESPN The Magazine? A high school coach mind-warping the poor helpless major sports publication writers of America? Way too much credit guys. Way too much paranioa.

Last edited by zebra295; Tue Jan 06, 2009 at 09:05pm.