View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
Leaving the box let the coach gain and advantage not intended by the rules. Requesting a timeout is no more of a valid reason to leave the box than shouting instructions to players is. In both cases leaving the box gives the coach an advantage.

What advantage are you claiming he gets? A granted time out DURING a dead ball??? I dont see what you are so vehemently arguing. I am not saying the rules say "a coaches box is a coaches box which is x feet by x feet" and so on. I am saying that in reality, and in this case, calling a T is not the most prudent course of action. If you do, it wont bother me, because you are supported by the rules and thats fine. I am saying that I would NOT call this T. I am a pretty black and white person when it comes to the rules, but I do allow some areas of gray to seep in. I like to think that that little bit of gray is necessary to be an effective official. But once again, before I am jumped on for expressing my opinion, by rule you are supported to call a T in this case, but an argument can be made to NOT call the T and I fall into that camp.