Thread: False start??
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 09, 2002, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Re: Consistency is the key.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds
As for movement by the backs prior to the snap, our association allows them the opportunity to reset before the snap. If they don't then we call either an illegal shift or illegal motion.

When I was just starting out at the umpire position I flagged the fullback for a false start and the referee jumped all over my hide.

Now that I've been an umpire for about 5 years I happily let the referee and the wings watch the backs.

We have a team over here that will shift into a punt formation when its 4th down and less than 5 yards to go. Their shift might be flagged for a false start by some other associations.

I understand that the rule regarding false starts can be tricky when applied to the offensive backs. The case book does not offer any plays regarding backs other than the quarterback. Is there any further guidance out there?
Mike,

The handbook addresses shifts and "false starts" rather well. In my opinion, if I have a pretty good idea that a back missed the count, I'm going to flag it as a false start but I know some associations in other areas that won't.