View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 12:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Seven pages of responses leads me back to that one rule I'd change if I could -- that only players on the floor may request a timeout.
If the coach then fails to get the attention of his/her player on the floor to make a request, that's a team communication problem. As it is, it has, by default, become "our" problem over "our" perceived failure to see or hear the coach make the request. Not always the easiest thing to do in close game in a noisy gym with each offical properly covering his/her primary.
Glancing through the Officials' Manual, I don't see any indication of which offical has the bench area specifically designated as his area of coverage.
I'm not the king, but if I were, I'd change that rule and solve 98% of these situations. The other 2% probably wouldn't occur.
Sound rational?
I like it. However, if there's a change, it's most likely to allow only players to request a TO during a live ball but allow coaches to also request a TO during a dead ball (if we're lucky, only dead balls with the clock stopped). In that case, the OP still happens.