View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_from_Mi View Post
I find that high school players understand that less is more. Sometimes when we say 'one-an-one' after the 1st made basket, players will return to offense and defensive positions, clearing not understanding the phrase, 'one and one' and awaiting the 2nd throw while standing in the blocks. The word 'play' lets everyone know that on this shot play will resume.
I doubt you'll find a HS aged player that doesn't know what a one-and-one is. Do they get brain farts and do something silly, yes, but they're not misunderstanding. Either way it's not our job to make sure they know what to do.

Quote:
I'm sure its frustrating for a coach and maybe the players when the team has the ball and is still dribbling or passing the ball when time expires. The mention to 'check your clock' is a reminder for both teams that time will expire very soon. I have noticed that after saying that, some, (not all) players actually check the clock and I've got to believe, have there thoughts focused on gettng a shot off in the waning seconds, or maybe having the moxie to call a TO (if one is needed).
Don't know where to begin...so I'll leave it simply as don't do this.

Quote:
Wow ! coaching?? how do you get that out of 'check your clock'? I suppose then during a 'long' time-out you don't inform the team that the 1st horn has sounded? or when lined up for free throws you don't indicate how many are to be attempted? or that you don't talk to players to de-fuse a situation? If you do any of those, then you must be guilty of 'coaching' as well. Welcome to the club...
First of all, stating "first horn" on a "long" (or in fact a "short" ) timeout is required by our mechanics. So is indicating the number of FT's. Talking to player to defuse a situation is GOOD game management. The rest of what you are suggesting is nothing close to GOOD game management.

Last edited by eyezen; Sun Jan 04, 2009 at 06:55pm.