View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 04:03pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
It was very obvious so I couldn't really let it go. Anybody else have similar occurances?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Call the obvious.
I went to a local rec league coach’s clinic this morning. Guest speaker was the local HS coach (over 600 wins between HS and college, four state HS championships, etc.) – good guy. He had the VB demonstrate drills, talked philosophy, etc. Great stuff.

After the clinic, I introduced myself as a young official (he kinda already knows me) and I said if you had a gym full of refs what one tidbit would you tell them. He said, “If you are near the coach (probably C or T) and you see it at his angle and it’s obvious, call it.” He then elaborated by saying that he understands “our primary area” and where we “should” be looking, but went on to say if it’s obvious grab it – even if it isn’t yours. Lastly he said, don’t let the game get out of control because you didn’t make a call you could/should have.

I thought it was an interesting perspective from a seasoned coach.

Last edited by grunewar; Sun Jan 04, 2009 at 11:06am. Reason: typo