View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

I officiate in a 4th-8th grade travel league that has a "no zone" rule for 4th and 5th grades.

Verbatim from the League web site:

USE OF ZONES AT 4th and 5th GRADE LEVEL:

Rationale of the rule: The following rule is intended to discourage teams from using zones at the 4th and 5th grade level. The general intent of the rule is to avoid teams from 'packing it in' and forcing teams to beat a zone by superior outside shooting, quick passing, or 'filling the gaps'. The general feeling is that players at this level do not have the offensive skills to 'break' a zone successfully, thus the zone creates an unfair advantage to the team playing a zone defense. Further, since playing a zone creates a defensive advantage, allowing it would discourage teams from using man-to-man defense, and players would not learn this very important fundamental skill.

Implementing such a rule needs to address zone presses during the allowed 'pressing' period, traps, and help defense. The 'flip' side of no zones is to discourage teams on the offensive side from isolating one strong player on one side of the court and going 'one on one' for the entire game or at least for an extended number of times.

The rule:
I. No zones are allowed in the 4th and 5th grade level.
II. In the frontcourt, between the 3 point arc and the timeline, 'help' defense is not allowed. This means there is no trapping or double teaming.
III. In the area between the 3 point arc and the 'paint', help defense is allowed. This means that a double team or a 'trap' would be allowed in this area.
IV. Inside the paint there is no restriction. The feeling here is that inside the paint there is so much traffic that it is too difficult for a referee to manage the type of defense being played.
V. In the last 2 minutes of the first half, and 4 minutes of the second half, teams may press full court, however this press must remain in a man to man defense (no zone). In short, they must be guarding their player, and not an area.
VI. The officials at the game site have the final responsibility for interpreting the violation. If there is no advantage being gained then the official in all likelihood may not call the violation. If any coach has an issue with the rule it is to be addressed with their league coordinator - NOT the referee or the league commissioner.
VII. The first violation of the rule will be a warning. .Subsequent violations will incur a direct technical foul on the coach.

My comments:

Please note rule VI: The officials decide if it is a zone. The most common zone violation I see is teams that play a one-man zone, with their big man in the middle of the paint preventing any layup. I will not make them guard their man in the corner, but they need to at least be on the side of the lane. I also do not let them stand in the middle not guarding anyone. I have started doing pregames with coaches in these grades to remind them of the general rule and the specific rule that the officials alone make the decision regarding a violation.

I once asked a coach to have one of his defenders guard his man. "Ref, I have been trying to get him to do that all year. If you can have any better luck, go ahead." I still laugh at that comment...and often use it in my pregame. These are 4th and 5th graders. And even though it is a travel league, there are many levels of play. Some kids just don't yet have the skill to guard a man.