View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Z,
I can understand the difficulty of the situation in which you found yourself.

It cannot be pleasant to have someone that you knew personally, and viewed with respect, act in a manner that makes you have to change your opinion.

However, I must say that since you had heard of the problem from others before taking the court for this game that you probably should have taken a stronger stance and dealt with this individual when he hollered directly at you. Had you had him removed then, you would have done a great service to your fellow officials both on that game and to those who will work that team's games in the future.

Due to the fact that you had a past relationship with this person, the message delivered would have been very strong.

It most definitely would likely be the end of your personal bond with this guy, but given his current conduct, is he really someone that you wish to continue to be associated with? I doubt it as you wouldn't have posted this if that were the case.

As I wrote above I can appreciate that this was an awkward situation for you and undertstand that you may have been reluctant to be more proactive, I'm also guessing by your posting this that you probably feel a bit bad inside about not having taken more decisive action and know what the right thing to do was.

A sad situation overall, and one that your local group is going to have to confront. Perhaps you can be a leader in doing so.

Best wishes.