View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
The T has on ball coverage so the L watches his back as you say. It's loud an the T can't hear the coach, so of course the L can't hear what the coach is saying either...all he sees is the coach walking out to the middle of the court. For all the L knows he is yelling something to his players. If the coach wants a timeout and the gym is too loud for the officials to hear his verbal request then he can either signal for a timeout or get his players to call the timeout. As I quoted the rule book earlier, a coach leaving the box creates a distinct advantage for his team. Sometimes the advantage is the coach is better able to communicate with his players, sometimes, as it was in this case, the coach was better able to communicate with the officials.

It always surprises me the lengths officials on here will go to not enforce the rules because they incorrectly believe that bad officiating caused the problem...not calling the T with 6 players because the officials messed up by allowing it to happen....not calling a double violation when the teams line up incorrectly for free throws because the officials didn't catch it ahead of time....not calling the T when the coach walks out to the middle of the floor to yell timeout because the officials couldn't hear him because the gym was so loud.
First of all, prior to administering the throw-in the ball is dead. I don't have a real problem with a coach outside the coaches box while play is stopped and the ball is dead. Second, I still maintain that prior to a throw-in the L has a responsibility to make sure everything is in order before signalling his partner to go ahead and administer the throw-in.