View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 12:30pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Subvarsity coaches have a lot to learn, in terms of rules, and in terms of how to deal with officials, which I guess, is why they're not varsity coaches yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
So those were my first lower level games of the year and I have landed firmly in the camp of its easier to call Varsity games then it is Frsoh/Jv games.
Amen! I do mostly sub-V and concur.

My assignor called me up one weekend afternoon and said, "Bob, I need you to do a few games for me." I said, "When?" He said, "Fifteen minutes!" "What?" "Other ref was in a wreck en route and can't make it. Can you help?"

I had purposely not worked that day as I had five games in the last two days and was a bit tired. "Where?" He told me it was about 25 miles away!

I dressed and hurried to the gym as fast as I could. Thankfully, it was the weekend and I made good time.

I hustle into the gym and jump into the game at the first break. My partner (who I've worked with many times) updates me, on where we are. Worst part (IMO) is that everyone in the gym probably thought I was just another goober, irresponsible ref who can't make it to the game on time......if they only knew how I busted my a$$ to get there as quickly as possible.....on my "day off."