View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 09:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
I am a newer guy, but my interpretation of the rules is that we react and administer prenatys to actions that are directed at us IN PERSON. confrontations in hallways during half time or on the court would be delt with.

Having an obviously irate coach, yelling at his players at half time with words that berate officials is not direct confrontation. this may just be his way of motivating the players, be it good or bad. Some coaches like to play up that everyone is "against us", so get out there and battle back".
I still haven't taken a solid position on whether I'd call the T. It really depends on what was said, exactly.

However, I need to disabuse you of this notion. A coach's comments do not have to be directed to you in order to call a T. If he said the same thing to his players in the huddle, it's a flagrant T.
The fact is, the OP was standing in the coach's office. The coach knows very well what can be heard in his own office from the locker room he's standing in.

And there's nothing that says comments have to be done in person. Preacher Long's comments on knowing positively that it's the coach aside, I see nothing in the rules that require it.

I will add, if you call the T, you better truly know who said it.