View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 07, 2002, 06:09am
Official Forum Member

Tap,

The ball is live. If I am blocked out, I'm going to point to my partner. If I am looking for a particular action (pulled foot, tag, etc.), I will point, verbalize my partner's name and indicate what point of action I am taking (Ronny, did he make the tag?) When going to a partner for help after a call, I always keep that conversation private?

Why, Elaine may ask? Other than the rare times a game UIC may need to apply a rule interpretation another umpire may have kicked, an umpire NEVER overrules a partner on a specific call. That is a player/manager's line of thought which is incorrect. A partner offers information to the umpire who made the call. It is then up to that umpire to step back, separate him/herself from their partner(s) and reiterate or change their own ruling. A good umpire should not fear such action as we are all human. I just believe in following the proper protocol.