View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 03:34am
Do not give a damn!!

All these comments that we must give a T, is based on only personal interpretations. And in a situation like this, I want a little more than personal interpretations. When I am unclear about a rule, I do not ask people on a discussion board for guidance if I cannot find one in some concrete literature. Honestly for someone to suggest that we must give a T is only using their personal interpretation of the situation and is not basing it on anything that has been addressed the National Federation or any state organization (and certainly not in my state). This is why the NF tells people to refer to their state organizations for these kinds of information.

Also for the record, filing a report is more than an easy way out. Unlike some people here, filing a report puts your name and reputation on the line when you file such a report. And you are also saying that the action warrants more than just an action in a game. In my state filing a "Special Report" has to be answered to by the coach (in this case) and to more people than just the IHSA. I have filed reports only to have Athletic Directors or Principals call me directly for follow up information and in one case I am convinced this lead to the firing of a coach because the things were brought to light that the AD or Principal never witnessed. Sometimes the people that hire coaches are not aware of certain behavior that they might feel is totally unacceptable. There are administrators that believe strongly that these games are an extension of the classroom and want to know when their coaches are not acting accordingly. The fans and other observers do not know why there is a Technical Foul given and all giving one might do is prove how you interpret the rules. If you write a report, then the right people know of the situation and can take action if they see fit. I compare this situations as going to a store manager and complaining about a situation in a store, rather than putting your complaining in writing to the corporate office. I can tell you the writing to the corporate office is taken a little more seriously than the person just talking to a store manager that may never be forgotten.

I also feel that people that are always trying to make moral evaluations on what we penalize in a game are really misguided and flat out stupid. I have never made a judgment in a basketball game where morals played much of a role. I have yet to see a Technical Foul or not giving a Technical Foul being seen as a sin under my religious values. Then again, it is always been just a game to me.

Peace