View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 06, 2002, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Re: Knowledge is power.

Here is the statement that is currently under discussion: There is nothing in officiating that a young official cannot learn either right off the bat or pick up in a short period of time.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Just because you do not buy into the same things I buy into, does not mean it is a lie or that it is wrong.
You are correct that my disagreement with you is not what makes your statement false. Your statement is, nevertheless, indisputably, utterly, completely, wholly, entirely, totally, certainly, undeniably false. And if you truly believe it to be true, then you are lying to yourself.

Quote:
Chuck, I respect your opinion, but your opinion is not the only one around.
I respect your opinions, too, Jeff; and my opinion is rarely the only one around. But we're not talking about opinion here. We're talking about the fact of whether or not a person with no officiating experience can learn literally everything there is to know about officiating in a short period of time. And the fact is that he or she cannot. I know this for a fact b/c I can find at least one official who has been officiating for 10 years or more and has not learned everything there is to know about officiating. . . that would be me.

"He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave."
-William Drummond, Scottish writer (1585-1649).

Chuck

[Edited by ChuckElias on Oct 6th, 2002 at 02:52 PM]