View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 06, 2002, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Well, first, I disagree with your granddad. Not having 7 men on the LOS is the wing officials' call, not the referee. At least, that's the way we work it.

As for the LJ getting caught on the inside, I have had it happen twice in my career. Both times, I had to cheat in and got caught. But now that we're working wider, I'm not in a position for it to happen. I'm sure you're frustrated by the play but I'm pretty positive that the LJ didn't do this on purpose. I'm also sure that he probably learned something on this play.

Also, by your comments about the flag for the chinstrap, I'm guessing this is probably an inexperienced official. However, he was correct by rule. All straps must be buckled, no matter how many buckles or snaps are on the strap. They must all be snapped. I think most veteran official would warn the TE to snap it after the play, unless one side was not snapped at all.

It's hard for me to understand why you would refer to the officiating as poor, just based on these two situations. Sounds like the play was pretty poor, which always makes it more difficult for the officials to look very sharp. JMHO.