View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 09:25pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I had a situation in a game the other day that I would like some feedback of opinions on how we handled it.

A1 rebounded a missed shot and B1 slaps at the ball and hits A1 on the arm, the whistle blows and then A1 not liking the hit on the arm retaliates with a forearm/shoulder to B1. I'm 30 feet away from it all and it all happens in front of my partner, so as he is coming to the table he tells me what he has. He initially has a foul on B1 and then an "intentional" foul on A1.

I now realize that my first mistake was allowing my partner to call it an "intentional foul" and not a technical foul because it would have made it easier

So this is what we did....We gave both A1 and B1 fouls, then put B1 on the line to shot 2 free throws for the intentional foul and then went POI and gave the ball back to A because they had the ball when it all started.

Any thoughts?

Clark:

Per NFHS Rules you did not handle it correctly.

This play is a classic definition of a false double foul.

1) The first foul is the common foul by B1 against A1. B1's foul caused the ball to become dead the clock to stop.

2) A1's contact with B1 is a technical foul because it is a contact foul while the ball was dead (the personal foul exceptions do not apply to your situation. A1's foul is the second foul in the false double foul.

3) When a false double foul occurs each foul is charged an penalized in the order that they occured and the ball is put into play as if the last foul in the false double foul was the only foul committed.

4) If Team A was in the bonus then A1 would shoot his free throws with no players lined up on the free throw lane.

5) Whether Team A was in the bonus or not the next thing would that anybody including incoming substitutes will shoot the TF free throws (the penalty for A1's TF) and then Team B would receive a throw-in at the division line opposite the Scorer's/Timer's Table.

6) You were correct is stating that A1's foul was as TF, but it could still be an "intentional" foul because TF's can be intentional but since part of the penalty for all (intentional, flagrant, or neither intentional nor flagrant) TF's is two free throws, declaring a TF to be "intentional" is meaningless.

False double fouls are not easy, because the amount of dead ball time that occurs from the time the first foul is committed and the time the ball is finally put back into play after the penalty for the last foul has been imposed. But doing it correctly and good dead ball management is what is important as well as communication with your partner(s).
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio