View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 06, 2002, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

There is nothing in officiating that a young official cannot learn either right off the bat or pick up in a short period of time.

Not true. The reason we start new officials on low level games is that they have much to learn and it takes quite a while.

Telling them all aspect of officiating is only going to educate and inspire them into what this "officiating thing" is all about.

Actually, telling them "everything" up front overwhelms them and makes them feel helpless. Note the "deer in the headlights" look when you give a new referee a laundry list of things he needs to work on. Ask him to repeat back to you what you just told him and see if he remembers more than a couple. :-)

Personally think this is why we lose officials.

Actually, there have been a couple articles in officiating magazines lately on why we lose officials, and your reason was not on the list.

Rules are only a foundation

So true. I think you just made my point for me.

your professionalism and conflict resolution skill and
people skills are going to far out way knowing the ins and outs of Rule 2-10. Because when you have to use Rule 2-10, you have to explain to an angry coach what Rule 2-10 is and how Rule 2-10 is going to be applied or not applied. If you are yelling and screaming while "quoting" rules, your explaination might never be believed if you do not have some conflict resolution skills or people skills to get you thru that situation.

This thread isn't about rule 2.10. It's about what to teach new officials. I wouldn't imagine we'd worry about rule 2.10 for new officials either. And I've never seen a young ref yelling and screaming or quoting rules. I've seen some veteran refs that "just don't get it" do that on a rare occasion though.

And you better sure tell young officials how to deal with assignors and deal with other officials, they might not get another chance to make a first impression.

If they don't know how to deal with other people by the time they are adults, we can't "re-learn" them because their mommies and daddies failed.

It is not like we are talking about toddlers, we are talking about adults that have skills and experiences that far way out what happens on a court or field. Give younger officials some credit.

I think you mean "outweigh" although I do think that your points are "way out." :-) Like anything else new, KISS is the best policy for beginning refs. Keep it simple stupid. And no, I'm not calling you stupid.

Z