View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

(Slightly OT) Possibilities with one point safety

I was watching reruns on GSN of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" with my parents the other day when the question came up, "Other than zero, what is the fewest number of points that a team can score in a football game?"

The contestant answered two and was correct. I started yelling "ONE!" at the TV, and my parents looked at me like I had lost my mind. I then started trying to explain a one point safey, and then they REALLY looked at me like I was losing my mind!

I started thinking about this, and I guess that on most one point safeties, the team that just scored would be the team scoring the one point safety--meaning that a team scoring one point in a game would be impossible. The only conceivalbe way that I can think of a team's final score being one would be in NCAA if the defense got the ball and ran it back to the five yard line where they were hit and fumbled. Then, the original offense recovered and fumbled it out the back of the end zone.

Highly unlikely but possible! I would guess that if this ever happens, it will be the first time ever.