View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 07:26pm
Administrator

I remember my first men's college basketball game; it was fifteen years ago: The Polish National Men's Team versus Cleveland (Ohio) State University at CSU. It was not a TV game, but it was the first game I had officiated where the electronic broadcast rules pertaining to timeouts were in effect. I knew the rules so I wasn't concerned about that but five days later I had a women's Div. III game where the electronic broadcast rules were not in effect BUT I sure missed those dang electronic broadcast timeouts, .

I do have one bit of advise though that I heard given at at men's officiating camp years ago (and yes we had color TV by then): Once the reporting (foul) official comes to a complete stop facing the Table: The official should hold his upper arm (the arm he is going to use to signal the fouler's number) out (parallel with a line that goes his shoulders) from his body with his lower arm raised at a 90 degree angle (perpendicular to the floor). This allows a TV camera behind him to see the number of the fouler as the official announces the foul to the Table.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio