View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 26, 2008, 01:09pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
NFL rules say they have this numbering requirement by position, but there's no definition of the positions and no good way of defining them without constraining the game more than they want to. Other than observing the in/eligible receiver numbering for team A scrimmaging, there's no rule requiring players to line up in certain places depending on their uniform number. So really it's just an unenforced convenience for the audience. I think the league does say that if you've consistently played someone at a certain position, they can make you change his number to a more appropriate one if necessary for future games.

Could you imagine if linebacker 59 set to blitz inside, and they got an illegal formation call?!

Robert
Thanks. One reason I asked was because I remember the controversy when Brian Bosworth was drafted by the Seahawks and wanted number 44, but the NFL said fine as long as you don't line up at linebacker. But then again, that was years ago. Other reason, I seem to remember a team having to use a wide receiver a few years ago as the quarterback because all their quarterbacks were on the bench being tended to by the training staff, and this receiver wore something in the 80's but was exempted from the rule because he was a declared emergency quarterback.

But your point, as well as a couple others that followed, makes more sense in what we're seeing in the NFL games now.