View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 26, 2008, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

My dress code is more or less the same. I go under the impression that we're evaluated from the moment we arrive at a game site, until the time we get in our car and leave, which includes attire, arrival time, and attitude (3 A's...maybe I'm onto something here).

Attire: If you're a parent or AD, would you be more impressed to see an official arrive in work attire (khaki pants, dress shirt, etc) or sweatpants and a t-shirt?
Arrival time: I try to arrive to my high school contests at least 1 hour before tipoff, 45 minutes at the latest...
Attitude: Do you think ADs or coaches care if you just had the worst day at work? They want to see that you're focused on the most important thing to them at the moment - the game they're about to play.

We're also being evaluated by our fellow officials, particularly if you've never worked with them before. I've worked with guys that show up in sweatpants. I've worked with guys that show up 15 minutes before game time, shake my hand, and ask if there's anything I want to go over before we start. No? Ok, let's get going then...

Nothing wrong with a little professionalism, and dress code is certainly 1 of the items on my checklist.