View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 09:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
The MIAA has decided it wants this rule in place. I have two choices -- accept it or decline to work high school games sanctioned by the MIAA. The MIAA did a much better job this year of getting the schools to do their job. A school I was at last week had a site manager follow the protocol to the letter; last year at the same school, I could not even find a custodian with a key to the locker room.

I don't live in a risk-free world and I accept those risks in everything I do. I had a game last night that should have been 20 minutes away. But because of snow, ice, rush hour and Christmas shopping traffic, it took me almost 75 minutes to get there. Do I decline the game because there is ice on the roads? Or I might get hit by a holiday shopper gabbing on the cell phone? I respect your concern for our safety. But I also respect that when I work a high school game under MIAA rules, they get to set the rules. I can handle that...or I would not take the game.
Until officials are employees of the state, I think you have more recourse than "none."