View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Uhm, so what's the penalty for verbally assaulting a referee during this warm and fuzzy Hallmark moment?

You know, B26 comes up to the official, and while shaking his hand, says, "You're the worst F-ing ref I've seen in my life and your B!%@# mother should be ashamed of you."
That is covered too. I did not want to include all the sanctions and remedies, but the MIAA Rule Book has almost three pages on "sportsmanship."

This is Rule 49.9:
Some of the reasons that an official may disqualify a student or coach from a contest that would lead to a game disqualification are:
1. Fighting
2. Flagrant unsportsmanlike conduct which is defined but not limited to violent action toward a player, official, or spectator, the use of foul or abusive language, taunting, trash talk, and the like.
Having worked with this "handshake" rule for two seasons, I don't have the concerns that others here raise. In those rare games where I do not feel safe, I do not have to stay for the handshake. If there is no "warning" of a problem and one develops, I have the site manager at my side to deal with fans and enough authority under under MIAA rules to deal with problems from players or coaches.