View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Nevada, I hope I don't get into a pissing match with you, but I do lean towards BITS on this one.
You won't. I'll just state that you are yet another example of why this was a POE for two consecutive seasons. The NFHS flat-out says that officials aren't enforcing the rule.
Eight to ten feet out of the box is a blatant violation. It has to be penalized. The warning or reminder is for when a coach is a step or two out.
Look at the directive from the NCAA on this. They went so far as to institute a formal warning this year. Check out the requirements for the warning. If college coaches with their jobs and livelihoods on the line can stay in the boxes, then so can HS coaches, even when they are excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Just curious as to how you handle the following, given your stance on the POE: Late in the game, A has a throw-in on their end of the floor. Before the ball is handed to A1 for the throw-in, B's coach is trying to get the official's attention to request a TO. The crowd is so loud, none of the officials hear the coach, so the coach tries to get closer to the closest official to get their attention. When the official finally hears the coach, the coach is well out of the box in front of the table. Is this a T? Why, or why not?
Is the coach gaining an advantage for his team by being out of the box? Does he have more ability to get the attention of the officials for his time-out request? The NFHS has stated that is one of the main reasons not to let the coaches be out of the box.

Perhaps he should learn to communicate his desire to his players on the court and one of them can run over right next to an official and make the request.
There is also written language from the NFHS that coaches have to learn that their requests may not always be seen or heard and that it is their responsibility to communicate clearly and get the attention of the officials.