View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Age is only a mindset

1. 50 too old to start?

Age is only a mindset. Be in shape, find a mentor. Be prepared to watch as many games as you work. Ask short concise questions and then ask. Not everyone will help you. You will learn quickly who will and who will not.

2. What one thing makes you love being a referee (or is official the preferred term?)

I love the game and want to give back. I grew up in a basketball crazy state, Indiana and developed a great passion for it. I do not play much anymore and love staying involved. It is all about FUN for all.

3. What one thing do you hate?

8th grade parents are the worst. I have come to believe that there is a gradient that increases until eight grade. After that time, the parents seem to get wiser and quieter. Maybe it is just because there are more people in the audience. Try to block them and thier lack of knowledge and big mouths out. Their child will not be the next Michael Jordan as they believe.

4. How long until you became proficient?

You will always learn. Proficient is a mindset. Learn the rules and their application. The biggest thing to learn and is not in any book is game management. Everyone is different and needs to be handled different. You will have to find what works for you. You will get told lots of stuff. Listen intently. Disgest what you were just told. Understand it and then try to apply what works for you. 80% of what you are told is good stuff, some of it will work. That which will not, say thanks and discard. Some of it you will not be ready for. It will come with time and games. Watch a lot of games and understand what they call but also understand what they do not call. What is not called is just as important as what you do call. Find some local camps this summer and go to them. You will lessen your learning curve greatly.