View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

I was very close to 50 when I joined the local board and started to ref high school ball, so I feel very qualified to speak.

1. 50 is not too old to start as long as you are in good physical shape or can get there with reasonable effort.

2. There are many things I love about being out on the court, but just running up and down the floor and being a part of the game when many people my age are finding it hard to just get off the couch is rewarding in itself.

3. The thing I dislike most is not being able to stop the game and educate folks who do not understand the application of the rules.

4. How long before I become proficient? Maybe never (LOL), but I do enjoy trying to make every game a little better. Some folks move up quickly because of many different reasons (some of which you can control and some that you can't). I was allowed to develop at my own speed (slowly) and was never thrust into a game over my head. I became a "rules person" as I continued to develop my floor skills, and now do a mixed bag of JV and V games.

Don't be afraid to give it a try. Officiating any sport at any level offers challenges that keep the brain and body active. My only regret is that I didn't start sooner.

It takes most folks a while to get comfortable on the floor, but once you work enough games and start to relax it gets better and better. Learning to officiate (like raising children) can be the most flustrating and most rewarding thing you do in your life.