View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Seems to me like you're progressing as an official.

I don't see this as refusing to bail out a shooter, though. I see it as refusing to punish good defense. The defender did nothing wrong. Unless the defender is also jumping into contact, this contact is all on the shooter.
I would agree. IMHO this behavior is not a legitimate part of the game of basketball. The shooter's job is to shoot; the defender's job is to defend. Nobody's job description includes "fling yourself into your opponent in such a way as to fool the stupid ******* with the whistle into thinking you got fouled."

A good official will recognize that the shooter created all the contact and not penalize the defense. A very good official will also file this guy's number away in his/her "keep an eye on this bozo because he may prove to be a game wrecker" file.

While normally no-calling this ends the problem. But, if the behavior persists, a PC foul should clean it up in a hurry.