View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 01:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

I honestly feel the term "Getting it right" is really a stupid comment when it comes to any officiating. Do any of us really think people are not trying to "Get it right?" And as someone that works more than just baseball, we always try to "get it right." There is just a process that needs to be followed. If I am in a two man system and there is a play at second on a steal, I do not need help on a tag. Even a play at first base while I am in the A position, I do not need help to get that right. I am doing nothing else but watching that play.

What really irritates me is when we have secondary coverage on something that if we saw something, we would make a call. If we do not make a call, then we did not see anything to make that call. You cannot tell that to these dumbazz coaches.

The best example is when there is a hit ball that comes close to the batter immediately after the ball was hit. If the base umpire (properly taught) sees the ball hit the batter, then you are supposed to kill the play. If we do not see anything, then we have nothing to add but pure speculation. And we should not be making calls on pure speculation.

This is becoming a much bigger problem in baseball and really this is one of the reasons I have limited working baseball in the last few years.

Peace