View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 03, 2002, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Good morning all.

I have read and read this board for nearly a year now in anxious anticipation of this years Official's Clinic in my town in West Virginia. I played ball in high school, could have played small school college ball but opted not to, but had not been on the court for fourteen years until I coached my two sons last year in a youth league. It was then just how much I realized that I missed being on the court. In anticipation, I have shed 45 pounds this summer, and did my level best to read the rule book and condition myself. I think I am really gonna love it (if I can keep the wife happy during the three and a half months while I officiate)!

One thing to note from last nights session were the Three Unwritten Rules of Officials Security:

1. Never let the fans know you are the official for the nights games before the game.

2. Never let the fans know what kind of car you drive.

3. Never let the fans know where you parked.

I chuckled when I heard this. But I am sure that this is certainly true in many of your experiences.

Sorry to ramble. Just wanted to point out a funny comment in our first class. I appreciate all of the input from this board, and look forward to asking questions and getting answers from the many years of experience here.

John