View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Another 8th Grade girls A game

A competitive game with a final score of 51 - 48 (visitors and the good guys lost). Same two officials as my previous 8th grade girls post. Weaker official has now embraced the idea of pointing to the floor on all non shooting fouls, even in the backcourt.
Two items of note:
1) Fans really, really, really don't know the rules. Several of them know I am very familiar with the rules and ask questions periodically. My usual responses are "The officials are not calling a bad game." or I try to briefly explain the rules as too why the official is correct or may have been correct. I have moved away from the louder fans at times as I feel I am representing the team and school. It becomes a sort of feeding frenzy as each fan yells with no one stopping to think if the official was correct or not.
2) Along about the end of the 3rd qtr., with the ball OOB right where I had been setting, the very reasonable, but loud and rules challenged chap I had been setting next to stands as the official is preparing for the in-bound play.
I think that made the official a little nervous (and I don't blame her). She said a few words and pointed to the site administrators. After the inbounds play, the site administrators came over to the same chap and had a few words with him. The conversation between the chap and site administrator amounted to he was not ejected yet but he needed to settle down. After the site administration returned to their monitoring positions, I tugged at his sleave and got him over with me away from the other fans and told/asked him to watch the game "over here with me". Things went fine after that, except a few more fans came over to stand by me and "almost ejected" (in a recessed area between two bleachers), so I moved back to the bleachers that loud and rules challenged fans had moved away from.

I call him chap, but he is a friend and a father of kids the same age as both my children.