View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 01:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Come on JRut, I completely understand! Why must it be sooooooo difficult to get this answer? You act as if you haven't read the post by referee99...
I saw a couple things in HIS post that raised questions.

1. Defender FOULS the shooter (with the body) prior to the block... Do YOU report the foul as a block or push is all that I am trying learn from you or any other knowledgable official.

referee99 second statement that caught my eye was how he explained to the player ON HIS WAY TO THE TABLE by "tapping his (own) chest" as if to say clean block but you got him with the body".

2. Should we report before communicating with players & coaches or is it acceptable to clarify in route to the table??

Gracias'
If you disagree with a foul being called, that is fine. I just do not feel you should call a foul "just because" there was some body contact when players go to the basket. And if you want to learn, then realize that there are officials that will not call this a foul and feel it should not be called a foul. It was the way I was taught a long time ago and the way I have been taught as I have gone to camps and trainings at higher levels. And in my experience I see both good and bad teams that play above or near the rim. If you are calling this a foul every time, then you will be shooting FTs from the moment the ball is tipped off. And I do not know how you could be that technical in any girl's game because every shot involves contact near the basket. The incidental contact rule did not just leave the rulebook either.

Secondly, I am still trying to understand why you feel the need to explain a call you made to a player or coach for that matter before you report to the table.

I tell the table (with a loud enough voice) what was done along with the correct signal. So if I have a push, I say which hand and how they pushed them (e.g. "Push with the right arm in the back") I have been doing this in some form for a season and a half and I cannot recall many coaches complaining what I called even if at first they were adamant about what they thought the call should be.

Peace