View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 02:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckley View Post
I'm a first year official who has officiated 30 games so far this season. I would like to think I'm progressing and I, of course, have a great deal of veteran officials to thank. Last night I officiated a boys' 8th grade game involving a team I coached last year. I didn't coach any of the players since they were 7th graders last year. I don't believe (and neither did my partner feel) that I showed any bias toward my former team in any of my calls but, of course, the fans of the opposing team, naturally, felt differently. I ignored their comments as well as the opposing coach who said something like "Your last six calls were for white!" Nevermind that his team was undisciplined and, frankly, terrible. In my roundabout way, I'm asking, how do you handle officiating a game involving a team you formerly coached? Like I said, I believe I called a fair game, but, in the future, should I turn down the opportunity to officiate games involving my former team? Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Personally? It's middle school ball, I wouldn't think twice. If your assigner knows and doesn't care....

And the comment in red would not have gone answered, either.

"Coach, don't accuse me of cheating."