View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
What, and who, defines a head coach? I have no idea going in who the head coach is. As long as there's only one all game, that's all I care about.
That is the proper question to ask.

The state office or local school district might have a certification program for the coaches. They might even have a registry of all the head coaches. If that is the case, then that person may be the only qualified head coach. There could be implications for insurance or liability.

However, I seriously doubt if the game official should get involved in this unless the state has issued a directive about the matter. I would allow it and simply notify the local authority about it. The folks in that capacity and the school ADs can hash it out and decide if they have a problem with it.

Under the NFHS rules there is no requirement. The head coach is whoever says he/she is the head coach at the start of the game. A team could be temporarily without their head coach, but someone is certainly going to fill in for that night.

Last season we had a team whose head coach was on duty with the National Guard and out of the country for the first four games of the season. The asst simply took over the duties of the head coach until his return.