View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Situation: Team A is trailing by 2 points with 1:20 on the clock. Immediatley after Team B is fouled, going to the line for 2 shot bonus, Team A coach requests time-out. While report the TO, the coach requests to have another time-out following the first - consecutive TO. I denied his request. He called his second TO after the first free-throw was completed.

What is the ruling. I didn't get a clear interpretation from the Rule Book?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarecrow View Post
I might be wrong, but I think the OP hinted that the coach was asking for TWO at the same time...telling the official he wanted a second timeout after the first had expired, so it seemed to be a "simultaneous" timeout request and not a consecutive timeout...which he correctly denied. I might be wrong, but that is how I read the coach's request in the OP.
It seems that the timing of the request was imprecise, but that what the coach was seeking was proper. The official incorrectly denied him a time-out when he could have used one. If the timing of the request is the problem, then simply tell the coach to please ask again at the end of this time-out. I believe that red misunderstood the rule.

I applaud him for coming on here and seeking clarification. He will know it now.