View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 04:09pm
In Time Out

(old) going out of bounds, coming back in

Sorry, know this has been discussed many times before. I recall a couple of instances in the case book but I can't find it at the moment and I wanted to check. If anyone has a link to a past thread. I searched for them but can't find it. I hear things like oh two feet weren't in bounds, does that matter? I didn't think so.
Here they are
1. Saw this called a violation- the ref did the over and back signal?
Player jumped out of bounds caught ball and threw it back in. Then first to grab it in bounds.
same but A1 has ball inbounds, holding it or dribbling and falling out of bounds jumps up and throws it back in the court. lands out and then comes back in and grabs ball. violation?

I think I remember from the casebook that this was a violation- player saves ball lands out of bounds, comes back in and grabs the ball. violation once tried to dribble.

ok just saw this

A.R. 111. A1, while airborne, catches the ball in an attempt to prevent
a live ball from going out of bounds. A1 throws the ball to the floor as his/her momentum causes him/her to land out of bounds. A1 returns to the playing court where he/she:
(1) Recovers the ball; or
(2) Continues to dribble.
The official calls a traveling violation. Is the official correct?
RULING: No.
(1) and (2) The official was incorrect in calling a traveling violation because when A1 caught the ball while airborne, he/she had no established pivot foot. When he/she threw the ball to the floor, returned to the floor after being legally out of bounds and was the first to touch the ball, it became a dribble.
(1) When A1 recovered the ball, the dribble ended.
(2) A1 is permitted to continue his/her dribble.

(Rule 4-68, 4-21.2 and 4-21.4.a)

Last edited by mutantducky; Tue Dec 16, 2008 at 04:13pm. Reason: post