View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry I gave you the wrong impression about getting past an IW. My concerns are not nearly as much about healing bruised egos or self esteem as much as they are about getting my crew back to working efficiently and effectively. Experience, and common sense, suggests singling out the individual who may have made a mistake is not helpful in reaching that objective.

Spare me your advice about thick skin, most of the people I work with have enough scar tissue to render than concern mute.

As RichMSN, so elequently phrased it, "Whether I blew it or someone else did isn't really important to the game or to the crew. *We* own it.", and that is sufficient detail to provide any coach.

As for "self-review", a wonderful concept to pursue off the field after the game, but again, is not something healthy for any official to get immersed in at the moment. Providing unnecessary ammunition to a frustrated coach to assist him in throwing verbal grenades at one of your crew members seems like a wrong way to try and get to the point where everybody can, "line up and call the rest of the game."