View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
from an officiating perspective, the biggest problem resulting from an IW, is getting the official who made that (big) mistake to get past making it and back into working the game.
Agreed. We disagree on how to start that process.

Quote:
Prolonging that period of self review/self doubt only detracts from the ability of the crew to do it's job.
Wouldn't "admitting you made a mistake" be the first step towards getting past a mistake? Don't most people feel better after they admit stuff? How does admitting it prolong the period of self review/self doubt?

We should all self-review and be reviewed by people we trust all the time. If we kick a big call, we need to ask ourselves why. Were we out of position? Did we lose focus? Are we 20 pounds heavy? Or (and this is the hard question) are we cut out for this?

I'm not saying you blow an IW, you immediately look to bail on the avocation or turn in your stripes. I'm saying that self-assessment is good. We all know guys who stay past their effectiveness. Was it a one-time thing or a pattern? You have to ask yourself these questions, regularly. It's healthy.

Quote:
Fourth, identifying the official will ONLY serve to prolong the effect his mistake will have on his ability to function properly for the remainder of the game, and 999 sidelines, out of 1,000, will rub as much salt as possible into that official's hide, especially if it's a wing official.
Or he'll grow thick skin in a hurry, one. And thick skin is a good thing to have in this avocation.

Some keep returning to making it easier on the guy who blew the IW.

We don't do this because it's easy.

We do it because it's hard.

Sympathize, hell, yeah. I feel for you. Want to talk about it? I'm here for you. Been there. Let me tell you my story. This is how it works. What can I do after the game to help you get past it? But right now, we gotta line up and call the rest of the game (there was only one more play left in the game in question, right? It was going to make for some uncomfortable moments, sure, but only a few and then you're out of there).
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.