View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 01:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Absolutely, for several reasons. First, IW is a mistake, albeit a big mistake, that affects one play out of 100+ that comprise a game. It is highly doubtful that will be the only mistake your crew will make that game.

Second, we function as a crew and every mistake we collectively make is attributed to our crew. A crew MUST function as a unit to be successful.

Third, from an officiating perspective, the biggest problem resulting from an IW, is getting the official who made that (big) mistake to get past making it and back into working the game. Prolonging that period of self review/self doubt only detracts from the ability of the crew to do it's job.

Fourth, identifying the official will ONLY serve to prolong the effect his mistake will have on his ability to function properly for the remainder of the game, and 999 sidelines, out of 1,000, will rub as much salt as possible into that official's hide, especially if it's a wing official.

Fifth, throwing a fellow crew member "under the bus" will do little to minimize the effect that one IW has on crew ratings (all crew ratings) and will deminish whatever level of respect the offended sideline may have had for the officiating crew (the entire crew).

As with any any discussion with the sideline explaining any unusual, or unfortunate, situation the tone should be businesslike, matter of fact and reflect the proper ruling. Identifying the specific official serves no constructive purpose and raises the possibilities of having to deal with subsequent problems that would be otherwise totally avoidable.

Coaches ratings are what they are, worrying about them during a game or adjusting your performance to influence them is a fool's pursuit and can create a lot more damage than any benefit.
To add:

Where I'm from, we are graded as a crew. As the WH, *I* am the one that will go over to the coach, tell him what happened, explain the options, if any, and likely will tell him he has X seconds to vent before we put it behind us and continue the game. (Cause if he's still yelling about the IW after I go back to the middle of the field, he's likely going to get flagged.).

I will not throw a member under the bus. I will simply say "there was in IW." Period. Whether I blew it (I have one in my career, to date) or someone else did isn't really important to the game or to the crew. *We* own it.