View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
The case play says that one official calls a charge and the other a block. That's different from making a signal. If one official called OOB off white and another called OOB off blue would you give the ball to both teams? No, but if the officials got together and determined that it did in fact go off both players at the same time, that's a jump ball.
The same can apply to the foul. I realize it's incredibly uncommon to see a charge and a block on the same play, but if one official has the offensive player lowering his shoulder into the lgp defender and other official has the lgp defender throwing his opposite hip in the offensive players body, then you have a double foul, no? To me that's a much more natural interpretation of that play cited then to say that because the officials disagreed initially it must be a double foul.
If you do a search on "blarge", you'll see this has been discussed many times.

For the most part, I don't know of anyone that disagrees with your logic. However, the case play is there in balck and white. I'm not sure the committee is saying the two fouls actually do happen at the same time; I believe they are trying to "teach" us to not give preliminary signals, or to come out with two calls, if the call should be in one official's primary. If we adhere to the proper mechanics of letting the primary official take the call, we would never have to use that case play. Ever. But, as BBall_Junkie previously mentioned, it happens, even at the top levels. So there is a procedure we need to follow, whether we agree with it or not.

(Used with permission.)