View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 10:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyd View Post
I would like some varisty level opinions only please.
JV Girls game. Level of play, very average. Point gaurd drives the lane, I am the lead and step down to get a good look. Defensive Center see's her break free and takes 2 steps jumps and smacks the ball away but her momentum carrys her into the airborn point gaurd knocking her sideways. She puts her hand down which stops her from going to the ground.

Under "protect the airborn shooter", I hit my whistle and we are shooting two. Home coach and home crowd hates the call. At the half the varsity official who was observing asks what I saw? I explaned. He said what happened first, the block or the contact? I said "the block". "The way I see that play is the bock was first, then the contact was incidental."

In a boys JV game, I tend to agree. Boys can take that contact. Having been a long time girls coach and witnessed 4 serious knee injuries, I protect the airborn shooter every time.

I would be curious how other varsity officials would interpret this play and call?
Varsity official is a strange way to classify someone. I only work varsity games myself, but some of the people on this list work in areas where breaking into the varsity ranks could be harder. Or those people may be better trained.

I always protect the airborne shooter. A little bump? I'd pass. Player lands out of balance and control and knocks the other player over? Foul.

I work varsity games and I never give unsolicited advice. Smile, say "Thank you", and ignore him.

Last edited by Rich; Sat Dec 13, 2008 at 10:42am.