View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Here is my $.10 worth of advice....

It all starts in the pregame. I know that there are guys that do not like to do a pregame regimen. However, when you are new to the group or you do not know the partners, then this is essential.

Have a script for pre game. I have one, it is on a card and make the pre game a team effort. Talk extensively about advantage, disadvantage and displacement. Also talk about protecting the shooter.

Include a review of what the crew knows about each team. Also talk about consistency as a crew and that there are three teams on the floor. Your job is to be the best team on the floor.

Include in the process some what ifs and how are we going to handle.

On floor, work the heck out of your primary. At first time out, come together as a crew and discuss a couple of plays that have happened and ask your partner what he saw.

Your words to the coach should always be, "Coach, I had the same exact call. I trust my partner. He/she was in position to make the call." or "Coach, I do not know but I will talk to my partner and either he or I will get back to you."

Review the plays at half and discuss if you are following your pregame. Do not count fouls. Sometimes it happens that you have a whole bunch more fouls.

Post game, discuss again and ask the coach to send you a tape. Review the tape with an open mind. Find out if you are too tight or partners are too loose.

Chart the tape:

Grade all violations: Correct, incorrect, missed or can't see on tape and where each of you called from. Also note of whether they were in your primary or not.

Grade all fouls: Correct, incorrect, missed or can't see. Also mark where you had double whistles. Chart the distribution of fouls by primary, L,T and C. Note whether they were primary or not.

You may find out more from tape review than you do during / after the game. Share the info with your partners. See if you can open some dialogue. At the end of the season, I would put together enough data and share with your mentor / person you admire. Cut a number of clips in video to share with mentor and get some feedback.

You do not need to do every game but do the ones that felt good and the ones that felt bad.

Hope this helps....