View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

I need some strong advice.....

So I'm getting the middle of the road Varsity games now. A definite move up from last years high end JV and lower Varsity games. I'll have lots of threads and rant and raves coming up but for now I need to talk about crew consistency.

I hear all the time about crew consistency but what if you and your partner are just off on it. I mean way off. A little background first, in our area we have alot of money refs,by that I mean refs whose only consideration if the night was a success is if we got off the court in under an hour and 10 minutes. That attitude also seems to bring out the worst in mechanics, game management, and everything else that embodies a crap official. Another great by product of the "money" ref is they let alot of contact go cause more fouls means longer time on the court. And hence lots and lots of games turn into slugfests....I don't like it.

So how can I endeavor to call a consistent game when partner lets everything go and I'm trying to do my deal which is more of a middle of the road approach. Letting them play through some contact,getting the obvious, things like that. I am really frustrated and don't know what to do.

Example. I'm Trail,player drives from partners primary we have all kinds of colliding ,falling, pushing, shoving and partner has a no call. Now I'm lead and I come up with a call on a similar play. And so it goes all night.

By the end of the night I have called like 75% of the fouls.

Ranting is good for the soul.....So is this the way it's gonna be or are there things I can do to get comfortable with this.....