View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

A team warning for delay is incorrect here as the kid is not doing one of the four actions that constitute such.

So you can either have a stern word with him, as you did, or issue a technical foul.

The first two instances would be covered by the rule JAR cited (It should read part (b) though, not (c).) The third, however, is after the expiration of time in the 3rd quarter. That changes things a bit. First, the player is no longer a player. He is now bench personnel. If he gets a T, then his head coach also gets an indirect T and loses any coaching box rights. Secondly, 10-3-5b is no longer a perfect fit for the situation. Therefore, if a T is to be assessed in this case, I believe that the kid must be charged with an unsporting technical foul under 10-4-1.
Besides just being a donkey, the kid is breaking 2-7-4.

PS Reading JAR's citation made me notice an unannounced editorial change in that rule. It actually changed two seasons ago, and I just noticed!

Here is the 2006-07 version:
10-3-6b: ...Failing when in possession, to immediately pass the ball to the nearer official when a violation or foul is called.

I guess it was altered to include whistles for time-outs and held balls.