View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

I wasn't there so I do not know how bad it was I think you did a fairly respectable job in handling the situation - I just think given your description there were some things you might have done differently, the most important would be to always have an idea of how much time has run off the clock any time you are having problems with a timer.

Clock awareness is a big thing and it is something that you have to concentrate on and work hard at. It will save you a lot of grief when you get good at it.

You will find that clock awareness is not only the proper stoping and starting of the clock, knowing when if the clock didn't start - to blow it dead, (you made the decision not to kill the play so you should have started a count to allow for definate knowledge) or let them play on, and count, until you can stop and correct the time. It will evolve into handling the shot clock, the resets, all of which become second nature.

If when you killed the clock you would have walked toward the table and said "timer please put 2:16 on the clock" - "Now coach what is it I can do for you?" that situation is done.

If you had done that earlier in the game when you saw you were going to have this issue, the coach probably would not have even said anything to you because he would have known you had it under control.