View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
So 2:31 left in the 4th quarter, home team down by 8… they inbound the ball in their b/c (I’m new L in 2 person game facing the lone clock) then the baseball pass to the big guy right in front of me.
Your partner should have had a count here until the ball is caught in the front court. So you should have had definative knowledge of this time.

Quote:
As the baseball pass is coming to me I sneak-a-peak & notice that the clock is still at 2:31 I didn’t want to kill their opportunity to score.
Since you knew this was a recurring theme all night you should have been ready to count here (actually during any game), you knew the clock wasn't running.

Quote:
It didn’t start and there was a quick shot, a miss, an offensive rebound, another shot, miss, rebound & finally a score.
without really thinking about it - you could add one second for each of these actions to the count your partner had for back court.

Quote:
I hit the whistle & got intercepted by the V coach on my way to the table. He was livid, saying “I had to take some time off the clock” and he is protesting if they lose…
The first thing that is going to happen here is I am putting up a big old stop sign to the coach and telling him that he needs to let me take care of my business first, then I get with my partner and we figure out just how much time expired, we go to the table and arrange for that amount to be taken off the clock. Then we deal with the coach.
If time has come off the clock he goes away and there is no need to talk to him.

Quote:
I tell him I don’t have definite info to do so (no counts) & that protests are not recognized by the Feds in basketball.
If no time comes off the clock, after talking with my partner I explain why no time is coming of the clock and that there is nothing I can do, but I never even aknowledge the comment about a protest - this does nothing to help the situation.

Quote:
How could I have handled that situation better?
Early on when this was a recurring them you might have suggested to the game management that they explain to the clock operator the importance of their job, and if it persists you are well within you rights to insist on a new clock operator. Like it or not, they are part of your crew and even if they are in detention they still need to do the job because it ultimatly could reflect on your managment of the game.