View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmonk View Post
Let me explain a tough situation I'm in. First and foremost I'm not an official. I don't know much about basketball other than the fundamentals I was taught when I was a kid. Football and Baseball I know but not basketball. Anyhow, I was recently hired to run the sports programs at a state prison. I walked into a mess. The programs have been run haphazardly for years. Select inmates are the officials of their games. The problem with this is the officials do not know the rules. I'm not an official but I know a foul when I see one. Apparently the inmates do not see any of them on certin teams. So I guess what I'm asking is there some sort of test I can get my hands on to check the quality of these officials. Maybe weed out some of the useless ones for a concrete reason.
You've got more problems here than just "who knows the rules and who doesn't". I think if I were in your situation, I'd try to get ahold of some other prison sports directors and find out how they handle the various unique problems you're going to have. They'll have more experience than we could about how to balance the overall prison rules with the rules of the game, and what kinds of penalties can be assessed if more is needed than a T.