View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 10:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Went to watch my son’s first Freshman HS game tonight. About 3 minutes before the game starts the Asst Varsity Coach comes into the stands and asks if I can keep the clock. Sure, why not……

First thing I notice is this is a REAL clock (not the like the Rec League gym clocks I’m used to). I mean this has like 30 buttons on it. Second thing I notice is that I don’t have my glasses with me and I can barely read what’s on the buttons! Uh oh!! I can't even figure out how to put time on the clock to start the game!

Game starts and the usual I forget to start/stop it every now and again as hey – this has a START and a STOP button. So, continually pressing the START button where I leave my finger doesn’t shut it off. Sheesh.

Two minutes into the game the H score keeper (maybe 15) turns to me and says, “Is a violation the same as a foul?” Gonna be a long game……. Who was that foul on? Who scored that basket? What do you mean I have to count total fouls? What's one-and-one mean? Hey, the scoreboard doesn’t match what I have…….

Four minutes to go in the game….bzzzz. Scoreboard goes blank. Yep, V score keeper has kicked the plug out…..

The game mercifully ends in a blowout for H.

They ask me to stay and do clock for JV game too. I couldn't have been that bad.....or maybe, there were no other "volunteers."

New H scored keeper introduces herself and announces she has 32 years of experience. Bless her heart. What a breeze…..”Foul is on white 2, that’s his first, team 3rd.” "Don't forget to change the posession arrow."

I give myself a B-. What a learning experience! But, now I'm a veteran - no reason not to step forward next time.....

Anyone else been "unexpectedly drafted?"
Perfect!
I timed a varsity game, once..., maybe 12 years ago.
The game would still be going if the fans weren't constantly yelling, "CLOCK!!!"