View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 11:40am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
I had a game this past week (2 official) and this occurred.

Ball is moving around perimeter and as lead I'm looking through the action of people cutting through the paint. Guy catches and squares up near the top of key slightly towards the strong side and I notice that his feet are on the line. After the shot goes in, I notice my partner was as deep as the 28' mark and maybe deeper and is signalling a three. I whistled it, told the table that it was a 2, administered the throw-in and along we went.

The def. coach (it was in the 1st half and right in front of his bench) told me it was a "good call" (of course he would, right?). At halftime, my partner thanked me because he couldn't see it (so he guessed, apparently).

Questions:
Should the lead be noticing / looking for jump shooters feet?
If you were the T, would you be upset?
Should the L come out and change this call?

Any thoughts? Thanks.
To answer your questions,
  1. Depends. If there is little to no action in your primary, of course you can take a quick peak. I think a valid point is if you blow it dead and there was tonnes of action if your primary. Who is/was watching that when you looked at toes?
  2. No. My believe is to get it right. So I would not mind it if the L came in. If the L does come in, I would appreciate him letting me change my own call. He can "offer more info", but word it in such a way that he's making the call. Because he did come in, he is 100% sure of my mistake. Yes, I have guessed on a 3PA before, but I hate it when I do - so if one of those comes up, I know that I'm not giving my full effort. Time for me to pick it up some.
  3. Yes. Blow it dead right away and get together with the T. If in your pre-game the L (or T) is to overrule and just count it, then so be it.