Thread: Timeout Sitch
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 09:28pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
Two person crew. Tight varsity girls game late in the fourth. A1 guarded by B1 has the ball near her bench in the frontcourt. Trail is bench side but has his back to the bench looking at the play. Coach requests a timeout. At about the same time, ball is being knocked away by B1. Lead blows the whistle and grants the timeout saying, "Timeout white!" Trail calls Lead over and they huddle near half court for quite a while. Coach of team B walks out onto the court near the officials complaining that the ball was loose and gets the stop sign but does not leave the floor. Team A is gathering at their bench. The Trail who is the R on the game turns and says, "No timeout, alternating possession" and awards the ball to B and tells the team B coach to get back in the box. Coach of team A now goes nuts and insists that since the Lead granted the timeout, the officials can't take it back. He gets rather loud but without getting personal and the Trail bangs him . Team B shoots the free throws, takes the lead, and goes on to win.

I was observing. After the game they asked me whether they handled it right? I told them once the Lead granted the timeout, they can;t take it back. I also told them they screwed up a good game. What do you think?

Walter:

I realize that this is a "had to be there situation" but in extremely close plays such as this one, but either the TO request was made while A1 was still in control of the ball or it was made after A1 had lost control of the ball. These "extremely close" plays are why we are paid the big Buck(eye)s (Beat Texas!! ).

Therefore if A-HC made his request for a TO before the B1 knocked the ball lose from A1's hands it does not matter if the T's whistle is after B1 knocks the ball loose because A-HC's request for a TO was made while the ball was still in control of A1.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio